Contact Form

 

Project 1: St. Peter's Basilica



Group Member: Perston Liew, Ncholas Wong, Prisca Kwan, Wan Zew

St. Peter's Basilica, located within Vatican City, is a Late Renaissance church. Design principally by Bramante and Michelangelo, St. Peter's is one of the most renowned work of Renaissance architecture.

Part A: Online Forum
In this project, each of us, my group members and I, did in an in-depth research on a particular aspect of St Peter's Basilica and answer the question posted in an online forum accordingly. My responsibility is to study the function or purpose of the architecture. 
  •  Replacement of the old St. Peter's Basilica
  •  Tomb of St. Peter and the tombs of Christians who wished to be buried near him
  •  Accommodate commemorative rituals
  •  Heart of Vatican City
  •  Main symbol of Christian Church
  •  Burial place of popes
  •  Major pilgrimage site of Christianity

Part B: Precedent Study Analysis
Each of us then conducted a precedent study analysis on a chosen topic and presented our findings on a presentation board. My presentation board concentrates on the architecture style and concept of St. Peter's Basilica.

Part C: 3D Extraction Model
Together, my group members and I made a model of St. Peter's Basilica that displayed all its unique feature which reflects the spirit of the period and location for which it was built. The distracting complicated elements are excluded to avoid the confusion of focal point. The main focus of our model is the dome and the geometry of plan.


My Presentation Board


My Model




Beside gaining more knowledge of the St. Peter's Basilica itself, this project had accustomed me with the culture and history of the Renaissance architecture. The design process and thinking matured my own design thinking. Making such a complicated model for the very first time, not only did my model making skill improved, I learnt to make planning and other preparation work prior to the making. They are ultimately extremely important in the completion of the whole model.




Total comment

Author

Eugene Peng

0   comments

Cancel Reply